Tuesday, March 19, 2013

50th Southwest Anniversary

I decided it was time to try my hand at the Cricut Craft Room.  When I got there, to my delight, there was a "use it free" cartridge called Southwest.  There is also a contest for the cartridge as well that ends on the 21st of March.    All I can say is, "Thank you PC!  Your timing is impeccable!

My aunt and uncle's 50th wedding anniversary is coming up.  My aunt loves everything Native so the release of this, plus free usage, couldn't have happened at a better time!  Her favorite colors are red and blue.  Her favorite animal:  the bald eagle.

I had originally wanted to get this done for the CricutFANatics blog, but life did not allow for that.   Do stop by there and check out the great ideas going on over there!

Here is a better look at the chunky charm I made to go onto the book.

 I made the heart, the eagle and 50 from Southwest using Poly Shrink.  I cut them out with my Cricut and then colored them and then melted them with my heat gun.  To the 50 I added some Judikins glaze and then sprinkled some glitter to match the 50 I made on the album.  I learned how to make chunky charms from the girls at the Cricut message board trades.  (I completed a full year of swaps!  So fun!)

The Oh Happy Day, the eagle and the border were cut from SW cartridge.  The book shapes were cut from Elegant Edges.  (One of my all time favs!)  The 50 was cut from the Gypsy Font, which is another free cart available on the Cricut Craft Room site.  The flowers were sprayed with copic markers to make them a better match.

These are the first two pages.  The heart vase and the love label were cut from SW cartridge.   I took one of the little hearts that were cut out from the border image and added it to the top button.

 The next two pages.  The arrows were cut from SW cartridge.  I added some hearts to them and also along the borders of the tag.  I covered a tag I didn't like with washi tape that matched the theme I was doing the mini in.
 The next two pages.  The one on the left is my favorite one in the mini.  I love the motion of the page with the bling and the man's motion looking like he is playing a song for them! 
 The next two pages.  The butterfly is from SW cart also.  The tags were cut from Gypsy Wanderings. I found the little pockets on the right hand page in my stash while I was looking for something else.  I thought they went really well.  She can put little treasures/notes in them.  Happy find!  The flowers and black pearls are Prima. 
 The next two pages.  I cut the Mr & Mrs and the feather from SW.  The little hearts are the left overs from the first couple pages with the heart border.  I love the feather!  It is so sweet!
 The next two pages.  I used Gypsy Wanderings for the mat on the left and SW for the border on the right.  The butterfly is from Recollections.
 The last two pages.  I added the rest of the left over arrows to the right page and another border from SW.  There were so many nice borders!  The mat on the left is from Gypsy Wanderings.

I am super pleased with how the album turned out.  It is definitely in my aunt's style.  She is a hard working woman, but not a frilly one.  She will like it because it is beautiful, but not in that girly-girl look.  She had 5 boys, so she didn't get much use for girly-girl things.  My uncle will like it because she likes it.  (He's good like that!)

The book was bound with my Cinch.

All of the papers were:  cardstock - Bazzill, DCWV for all the designer papers, except the orange swirl and the black swirl - they are 7Gypsies papers.

I didn't buy anything new to build this with.  MamaC (aka Carol) will be so proud!

I really enjoyed this project!

Thanks for stopping by!

My first attempt at putting a video on my blog!  Only my second video ever!  


3 comments:

  1. What a gorgeous mini album. Love all the details and I am sure your Aunt will love it also. Thanks for sharing the video.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful mini album! I love the cuts from that cartridge.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just love your mini album. Thanks for showcasing the cuts from that cartridge.

    ReplyDelete